Emerging Church

A friend asked me to post about my emerging Church class and what it is like taking it is Southern Missouri. So I decided that I would, because it is interesting at times to say the least.

The professor, Steve Smallwood, Pastored New Life Church in Springfield, he was also a director for Teen Challenge, among many other things (you can see his professional profile if you click his name).

As far as course content goes we are reading a couple books, the First being "Vintage Faith" by Dan Kimball. The second "Church Re-Imagined: The Spiritual Formation of People in Communities of Faith" By Doug Padgitt . If you haven't read these books pick them up...

For the most part the class was set up to inform about the Emergent movement, if you want to call it that. The first couple weeks were addressing the differences between the modern movement, and the post modern movement. Further than that the transition of thinking from modernism to post modernism.

To expound a bit, we have been talking specifically about, the house Church movement, third place thinking, faith communities as opposed to traditional Churches, as well as the various types of "Emerging Churches" that are popping up.

As far as the location of the class, it is interesting because there are a lot of really conservative kids in the class that like to combat some of the ideas. It makes for a good time. For the rest of the students in the class I think it is mainly putting names to the ideas they already had.

For me it has been fun because I have already read both the books and thought through most of this stuff so I am able to take it all in, and really get an idea about what other people think.

Thats about all I have to say about that...

If you guys have any specific questions about anything regarding this ask!

1 comments:

Kevin Davis said...

Thanks for sharing - sorry it took me so long to come read it.

I'm glad the ole conservative A/G mecca is at least talking about it.